Saturday, July 5, 2008

Some things are just worth more than a dollar

Guilty pleasure confession time: I LOVE the Dollar Tree. It's one of those stores where everything inside costs $1. You can really find some cool stuff in there. I often go there to stock up on cleaning supplies and it's a great place to shop for props for shows. We created an Italian bistro last summer for a show all at the Dollar Tree.

Today, I stopped by the Dollar Tree to look for some 8X10 frames. I have some vintage-style advertisements, such as this one, that I bought several months ago at Target. When I bought them, I didn't really have the space to hang them anywhere, but I sensed that would come in handy and I am such a fan of these vintage ads. Well, now that I'm in my house, I have the space for them. I found 4 lovely black frames that will be perfect for said pictures. Woo hoo!

As I was in the line to check out, I let my eyes wander over the "impulse buys" kept at the register -- stuff like gum and mints and cheesy key chains and . . . . home pregnancy tests. Yes, one of the "impulse buys" at the Dollar Tree was a $1 home pregnancy test. Imagine the woman standing in line at the Dollar Tree with her dish soap and cheap candles and gift wrap. She glances over the impulse buys at the register and thinks to herself, "Ooh! Mint breath spray. Billy Ray might like it if my breath was minty fresh when we go parkin' at the creek. I'll get me some of that. Oh, and look at that! A home pregnancy test. You know, it has been a couple weeks since I last had my monthly visitor. Maybe I'd better pick me up one of them too!"

As the headline of this post says, some things are just worth more than a dollar. And a home pregnancy test is probably at the top of that list.

No comments: