Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yes, We Did

There's not a lot I can say right now as I watch John McCain make his concession speech. I've been crying for about 20 minutes now -- after a night spent getting teary off and on since about 7:00. Words fail me as I consider what tomorrow will bring. Since the convention, U2's "Beautiful Day" has been my "wake-up" track on my alarm clock, inspired by Obama using it as one of his campaign themes. Tomorrow is indeed going to be a beautiful day, and it'll be the first time in a long time where I can wake up secure in the knowledge that hope still lives and thrives in this nation, that wisdom and optimism can be our guide, and that light is starting to glow just ever so slightly at the end of this tunnel. I haven't felt this way since 1992 when I stood on the balcony of my campus apartment, Fleetwood Mac blaring from my stereo, and a glass of champagne in my hand. We did it. We really did it.

No comments: