Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Get Ready to Feel Old


Nominees for the 2011 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were announced today. A look over the list is sure to make someone in the penthouse of his/her 30's feel incredibly old.

The List:
Alice Cooper
Beastie Boys
Bon Jovi
Chic
Neil Diamond
Donovan
Dr. John
J. Geils Band
LL Cool J
Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Donna Summer
Joe Tex
Tom Waits
Chuck Willis

Yup, the Beastie Boys and Bon Jovi could potentially be in the Hall of Fame. That means that both bands have careers that are 25 years old (or more). Didn't License to Ill just come out, like, yesterday? Was it really that long ago that I was sitting in the staff room of my high school newspaper mocking the lyrical genius (or lack thereof) of "Livin' on a Prayer"? Of course, let's ignore the fact that I have to take off my glasses to read liner notes (because I'm too damn stubborn to break down and admit I need bifocals) and just shake our heads in disbelief that so much time has passed.

Not making the final ballot this year was The Smiths. That's just not right. Put "Girlfriend in a Coma" or "How Soon Is Now?" up against anything Bon Jovi has ever recorded and then tell me which one is Hall of Fame material.

"Bad Medicine" indeed.

PS -- How is Neil Diamond not already in the Hall of Fame? How do KISS and Joan Jett not make the final ballot? Add that to the list of things that make me shake my head in grave disappointment.

No comments: