Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Well, Life Just Got Harder . . . .

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today that, starting with this year's nominees, the Best Picture category will feature TEN films instead of the usual five. This is a return to the roots of the Oscars when more pictures were able to be nominated, and many feel that this will allow more commercial films find a seat at the Best Picture table. This change could have benefited, say, The Dark Knight or Wall-E last year and still have allowed for "artier" movies like The Reader and Milk to find some exposure to wider audiences.

While I applaud this idea for its recognition of history and such, my first thought when I read this was a prolonged, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I mean, I have a hard enough time tracking down the five best picture nominees and seeing them before the ceremony. Now, things just got a lot harder since they've doubled my mission. SIGH! I see a streak falling and falling soon. :(

No comments: