Monday, January 12, 2009

Golden (Globe) Moments

Last night, a tragedy nearly occurred Chez Mel -- I ALMOST forgot to watch the Golden Globes! Granted, I had set the DVR to record them for me, but the Globes are something that need to be watched live, not days later when the list of winners is all over the internet. Luckily, my brain kicked in in time for me to catch the last 20 minutes or so of the red carpet before tucking in to enjoy the ceremony.

I love the Golden Globes. While they are virtually meaningless at some level and are often mocked as such, they do provide a faint hint of what the Oscars might hold. On top of that, they are filled with surprises whether it's courtesy of unexpected wins or drunken ramblings. The Globes just seem more chill (although not as chill as the Spirit Awards where nominees frequently show up in jeans and hang out in a tent) and like a fun party rather than the pomp and circumstance of the Oscars.

Overall, I thought the Globes were relatively entertaining and had enough surprises to keep me engaged. Kate Winslet's double win was a pleasant surprise. I think I've mentioned before how much I love Kate Winslet, and if I haven't . . . I love Kate Winslet. I think she is absolutely brilliant in everything she does. Her double win last night was a vindication of that. I cannot wait to see The Reader and Revolutionary Road, and 99% of my excitement to see them has to do with her. Her genuine shock (and almost embarrassment the second time) over winning was charming and real and made me love her all the more.

As much as The Wrestler intrigues me, I have to confess I'm reluctant to see it if only because the sight of Mickey Rourke makes me sad and uncomfortable. Remember how hot he was in Diner? Now . . . scary, sad, and unsettling.

If Slumdog Millionaire doesn't show up in my multiplex, I am going to be mad. I will NOT let that movie break my streak!

Renee Zellweger gets grosser and grosser every time I see her. I have officially decided I can't stand her.

I loved how the Steven Spielberg retrospective conveniently skipped over his flops/lousy movies -- like 1941, Always, The Terminal, or Hook. If that retrospective is to be believed, Spielberg has never created a suckfest, but we all know better.

I loved how Emma Thompson was there to give an encouraging pat to winners as they took the stage. Somehow, I imagine her presence would be comforting. And I loved how gracious Meryl Streep seemed to be as well.

I'm not buying the cold story, Colin Farrell.

I would hate to have Demi Moore for a mother. Of course, my mother would probably tell me not to slouch on television, too.

Tom Cruise -- class act for leading the standing ovation for Heath Ledger.

30 Rock . . . rocks! And how much fun must the 30 Rock table be with Tina, Alec, Will Arnett, and Amy Poehler? Their sides must have been aching from constant laughter. (Confession: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler often remind me of me and my best friend in that I imagine that the times they spend together are more fun than any times ever spent by anyone.)

When will someone finally give Neil Patrick Harris some awards loving?

I guess I should get around to watching Mad Men and tracking down that John Adams mini-series, huh?

My Oscar nomination predictions are coming soon, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

It's official. I will never again watch another bloody awards show. Now I can just go to your blog and read the parts I'd care about.
Thanks for the laugh!
And YES about Neil Patrick Harris. Long live Dr. Horrible.