Friday, July 4, 2008

And the rockets' red glare . . .

I hope everyone out there had a nice 4th of July. I honestly can't complain about mine outside of the fact that my allergies were not playing nice for a good chunk of the day. I got up early to get things ready for today's cook-out before my sis and I headed over to the local multiplex to see Hancock. Long story short: I liked it. Many of the reviews I'd seen were rather scathing, but I think that I saw the same movie that the New York Times saw -- a decent movie that, while "far from perfect," kept me pretty entertained for 95 minutes or so. What more can you want for a 4th of July movie? And honestly, it was so refreshing to see Charlize Theron actually get to play pretty!

After the movie, we hosted a cookout at our house, giving me a chance to break in my new grill. I grilled burgers and brats and despite the copious amounts of smoke I inhaled, I had a good time. We then headed over to a friend's house to watch the fireworks. The friend lives on the edge of town and has a great view of the fireworks out at Lake Storey so that we didn't have to face the throngs trying to get the best spot. We had a great spot with the music being simulcast on a local radio station and homemade ice cream to top it all off. I'm not sure when I've had such a nice 4th of July -- good entertainment, good food, good friends, and fireworks. Yee haw!

No comments: