Friday, September 5, 2008

Can You Feel the Love?

Nope, me neither. The lack of any sort of apparent affection between John and Cindy McCain last night was downright uncomfortable. Did they ever even touch once? I mean, don't get me wrong. The last thing I wanted to see was an Al and Tipper moment where John bends Cindy back and shoves his tongue down her throat. (Oh, God. I just threw up a little in my mouth!) But I was just sort of taken aback to see so little show of any sort affection. The whole post-speech show was downright awkward as the McCains and Palins stood up there, waving awkwardly to the audience, looking more like four strangers waiting for the bus than two couples working together to seek the highest elected office in the nation (if not the world).

Nation (I'm channeling a little Stephen Colbert here for a sec): here's a promising sign. I'm having my Speech classes watch the McCain speech today in class. (We watched Obama last week, and I'm trying to be fair) While the county where I live is very heavily Democratic, I teach in a neighboring county that is very conservative and Republican. You would not believe some of the things I hear my students say about politics (what little they know). Anyway, it's really been encouraging today as we're watching this McCain speech. The kids who were completely silent and riveted by Obama last week are openly critical of McCain's speech -- challenging not just his speaking style but the substance of what he's saying. (Granted, they also made a couple digs about Mama McCain looking more like she should be his wife than his mother, but that's just good comedy!) Nation, there's hope!! These kids are listening, and they are NOT liking what they're hearing!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I wish your students could vote!