Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

Today as I was driving to work, a shocking realization struck me. It's fall! I reached this startling conclusion as I noticed the trees that line my favorite part of the drive (this tree-lined hill) were no longer green but turning orange and red.

Hooray!!!

I love fall for so many reasons.

I love fall because it is so pretty. There's nothing like the sight of autumn leaves. I love the way they look. I love the sound they make as they crunch under foot. Summer and spring are lovely (and even a fresh snow can be breathtaking to behold), but fall has them all beat.

I love fall because the weather is so cool and lovely. It's sweater weather. It's turtleneck weather. It's light coat weather. My closet is thrilled at the opportunity to return to my back my favorite clothes. I can't wait to break out my big, comfy turtlenecks. I can't wait to layer.

I love fall because my birthday is in fall (October 11 to be precise). Even at my advanced age, I still love my birthday even if I often don't do much to celebrate it. (This year is different, but more on THAT later)

I love fall because all my favorite television shows are coming back -- The Office, Ugly Betty, and How I Met Your Mother all premiered last week, 30 Rock is a month away. Saturday Night Live has had some inspired moments already this season (thank you, Tina Fey) even if a lot of the sketches have been a little flat (particularly in that season premiere -- please stop having athletes host!).

I love fall because studios start releasing all the good Oscar-bait movies. Granted, I never usually have time to go see them because of my duties as director and speech team coach, but it's nice to know there's intelligent stuff out there for when I do find the time. (I've been known to sneak off to a movie by myself on Friday evenings before speech meets to just unwind and not think about anything work related for a couple hours.) I can't wait to see Doubt, The Changeling, Rachel Getting Married, The Soloist, and Benjamin Button, to name just a few.

I love fall because it's the time of Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving. I prepare a Thanksgiving feast at my house every year, and I can't wait to do it this year in my nice, big kitchen. (My old kitchen was roughly the size of a walk-in closet) I make almost the entire meal from scratch with the exception of the rolls and usually the dessert (although that used to be because of a lack of space, so I just might try my hand at pie-baking this year!).

I love fall because it's when Election Day falls. As frustrated as I have been with this campaign cycle this year, there's no denying the fact that I love the thrill and sport of this thing we call politics. I don't think I've felt this intellectually alive in ages!

1 comment:

Peter Von Brown said...

So what are you trying to say? ;)