Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Saturday at the Market

Here's something I love about Saturday's: the Farmers' Market.

Here in the 'Burg, there's a downtown parking lot that gets closed down each Saturday from 9:00 to Noon and opens up to local farmers vending their goods. You can walk in with $20 in your pocket and walk out with bags full of sweet corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, fresh herbs, potatoes, peaches, and more. Today, I even managed to score some amazing looking portabella mushrooms that I can't wait to grill (using the fresh oregano I purchased from a neighboring vendor). I always bring my own totes and just load up with whatever delicious goodies catch my eye. I love the old-fashioned air of the farmers' market and the idea that I'm purchasing stuff that was maybe in the ground just a day or two ago and will be in my tummy very shortly.
The other thing about the farmer's market is that it is impossible to walk through there and not run into a good half dozen people that you know. Today alone I ran into former professors, a co-worker, an acquaintance from high school, a couple people from church (who of course chastised me for not having stepped foot in church in ages. Hey, church conflicts with Meet the Press, and it is an election year, baby!!). It really enforces the sense of community that is one of the things I like best about living where I do.
As as added bonus, a nearby cooking supply store was having a sidewalk sale today, and I was able to buy three adorable new coffee mugs for $10. I had just been complaining how I needed some new coffee mugs, preferably some smaller ones than the ones I currently have, and these are perfect -- smaller and funky at the same time.

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

One of the funny things about Chicago has to be its plethora of farmers' markets. I remember standing at a booth run by the Amish, with a bag full of heirloom tomatoes, as kids from Israel performed under the Picasso, under the shadow of the Daley Center, with a group of Muslims in traditional garb next to me, as the Blue Angels flew overhead in preparation for the air show. By the way- heirloom tomatoes. To die for. I wondered how good something that ugly could taste- but I'm here to tell you that they redefined tomato for me.